Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Luncheon with Dr. Stephen Krashen

As usual, Dr. Krashen is inspiring and helps me see the scientific reasons why what we do in class works.  Dr. Krahsen himself posted his version of his presentation on the moreTPRS listserv, but here are my takeaways from what I heard. 

We are awesome...  So that might not have been his exact intention, that's definitely what I took away.  What we are doing or trying to do in our classes is far and away the best method that exists for teaching a language.  So my question is: Why in the heck are more people not doing it?  (and it's what Richard Baker is currently researching)  In my opinion, there are several contributing factors.  One: It's hard...it's a skill that takes many years to be comfortable with...and one can never truly master.  Two: Lack of support from administrators or colleagues and, in some cases, outright bullying of people using the method.  Three: Lack of mentors in the area.  It's really hard to learn to do something if you don't have an easy way to ask questions, see it modelled, or be coached (someone is trying to remedy this by creating a database of teachers willing to be observed, coach, etc...but I can't remember who...maybe Karen Rowan??)  Four: Misinformation.  I think this is the reason a lot of the teachers in my district, which was once an all-TPRS district, has moved away from the method.  Most of those teachers had been trained in TPRS a long time ago or during a short 3-day training.  There is so much innovation and collaboration that you just don't get if you're not constantly learning and seeking PD.  I don't know how teachers do it without a place like Ben Slavic's PLC or the moreTPRS list...

Dr. Krashen said that he's not a big fan of the timed-writing because it is a forced output...but I feel like the benefits that I see in my class (and, as Janet Holzer said, having the data to show admins) far outweigh any affective filter that might occur.  And I could have misunderstood his meaning.  He said that he would like to see it used occasionally, but not on a regular basis.  Definitely not once a week...

What he would like to see us do and/or continue to do:

1. Try to find a research topic and try to find someone to help you get it complete/published.  I'll blog more about my dinner with Richard Baker later and our ideas for research topics.

2.  Try to avoid focusing so much on target structures and instead focus on content.  Perhaps we teach a history class in French or teach kids to do yoga in Spanish.  Or perhaps we teach a class on popular literature.  This is, of course, pie in the sky dreams because most of us have objectives that we are supposed to meet or particular vocabulary that we have to teach.  However, I did find some WONDERFUL ideas for striving for this in Carol Gaab's curriculum class that I will blog about later. 

I love Dr. Krashen because he makes me feel like an innovator in my field and like what I'm doing in my classroom and what my kids can do might be interesting to the rest of the world.  So...if you have an idea for a research topic, PLEASE try to find someone to help you do it!!

3 comments:


  1. My comments on your comments, and anything I say can be shared with anybody.

    1. "We are awesome..."
    Yes, this what I wanted to say. You and your colleagues are making history and are helping people, and your contributions will make life better for millions.
    2. "What we are doing or trying to do in our classes is far and away the best method that exists for teaching a language."
    YES!
    3. Why aren't more people doing it?
    I agree with the reasons you give, but: maybe more people are doing it than we think.
    Prediction: Our critics will discover that we are right, starting doing TPRS themselves, and (a) claim that they were always our supporters or, more likely (b) give it a different name and take full credit.
    4. Timed writing. I completely understand why people do it – people tell me it builds confidence, And I think it is a valid test. I just wanted to alert my colleagues that it can be misused – frequent timed writing as test-prep. It is not the way we build fluency. And I understand that it is a valid measure and can really impress parents and administrators.
    I don't think it causes a high affective filter. Finally, I don't think that anyone who heard my talk is using it in the wrong way. But others might.
    5. Do I urge you to do research? No. Teachers are overworked already. Research is the job of university types like me, who have lots and lots of time, and are expected to do and are trained to do it. I love it, just as much as you love teaching!
    BUT: If you want to do research, please go ahead but get some help. TRPS teachers have produced some terrific research papers.
    AND: I hope teachers will find a little time to write, and share ideas about teaching, as you do on your blog, and occasional publish some ideas (eg in the Teacher to Teacher section of IJFLT). Again, I know how little time you have.
    6. "Try to avoid focusing so much on target structures and instead focus on content." YES! And I understand the pressures that force teachers to focus on specific grammar and vocabulary. But we may discover that even with PURE TPRS, we cover much of what they demand anyway.
    7. "I love Dr. Krashen because he makes me feel like an innovator in my field and like what I'm doing in my classroom and what my kids can do might be interesting to the rest of the world."
    I love you back. Being with the TPRS teachers, talking with them, being in their classes, seeing their dedication and huge enjoyment of their work, is incredible. I was in lobby struggling with my computer a couple of nights ago and Bob Patrick, Mike Coxen and Jason (sorry Jason, don't remember your last name) suddenly emerged from something called the "war (and peace) room" totally excited about some demonstrations they had seen and told me all about it. In fact, Mike Coxen insisted later that I watch some of it that he had recorded – he was right, it was brilliant. Instead of "hanging out," sitting around complaining, and doing other stuff, TPRS teachers were getting together and doing demos for each other. Dedication! This group is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words. I've known for a while how accessible you are, but the fact that you just posted a response on here within hours of me posting it I hope shows that to others as well.

    I am very glad that I didn't misunderstand too much. I'm so excited by your ideas for the future, and how Carol Gaab has been able to take some of those more nebulous ideas and made them more concrete through her presentations and curriculum. And it's worked for her! In the REAL WORLD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you both! I'm going to throw in my two cents here...I agree about teaching yoga and other content areas. The argument against that is that it takes extra time, but on the other hand, it's also what Susie Gross recommends. She told me once that I should think of stories as being the entry level, and after that, we can use that high-frequency language to talk about history, culture, politics, art. I teach my kids to play an old Russian (baseball-type) game. It turns out that Peter the Great played it with his soldiers to keep them fit physically and mentally. My students enjoy learning "real world content," even if sometimes they still beg for stories. Giving them "real content" validates the "easy" way that they are learning the language. Otherwise they think I'm too much a flake sometimes.

    ReplyDelete