Friday, January 26, 2018

Year one curriculum: translated from Sr Jordan

I've been asked to share what I do in my class to help out some teachers feeling overwhelmed with a new method. 

I will say that, after years of teaching TPRS "off the cuff," I was fortunate enough to work in the same building as Jeremy Jordan, aka Senor Jordan, aka 2016 Missouri FL Teacher of the Year.  I loved watching how his lessons built on one another so that the vocabulary was CONSTANTLY recycling.  Ideally, all of our vocabulary would do this naturally, but I was struggling to make it happen.  So, when Jeremy shared his year one and two lesson plans from last year here, I knew I had to look and see what I could steal...ahem...adapt for my classroom. 

Here is what I have so far.  If it is helpful, I'm glad.  If it's not, I'm sorry...if you have any ideas of ways to make it better, please let me know.  If you see an error, for the love of god, PLEASE PLEASE send me an email at elisabeth dot hayles at lsr7 dot net so that I can correct it and get better at my own language skills.

I have only actually used up to story seven in my classes...so this is not set in stone at this point. 

Hope it helps!  (so nervous to hit publish....)

French 1 2017-2018

4 comments:

  1. Awesome, Bess! It was an honor to work in the same building as you as well! Wish our classrooms could have been closer! :-)

    Thanks for doing this and for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may acquire some of these stories for my own use! Thanks Bess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing. I don't really get how you do special person. All questions right away? Go over pronunciation? Where and how do you record their answers? Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I start the year with my level ones just asking three questions the first day, name, how to spell it, and if they prefer another name. I ask one student only (maybe two, depending on length of class that first day). Then the next day, I add a student and a question. The important thing is to really highlight one student at a time so that we can focus on learning about him/her. The kids have a notebook that they write notes about each student at the end of class. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete