Thursday, November 18, 2010

Results of speaking test-Warning...Emotional!

I am sitting here trying not to cry in front of my students. (Yes, I'm blogging during class while the students play on freerice.com to practice French vocab and donate rice to poor countries!) I just had a student come to take his speaking test. Background: This kid is "trouble." He walked in the first day with an "I dare you to make me learn" look in his eyes. After talking to his teacher/mentor from last year, I learned a lot of information about his heart. He hung out with some bad kids before and was trying to re-create himself...but he didn't have any other friends to support him in that. So, needless to say, I have quite the heart for this student. Today, he wasn't going to try to take his speaking test. Another student said, Just try...it's easy. So he came to me reluctantly and tried to work out some activities that his classmates do. I also want to say that this student missed more than half of my classes due to behavior issues. He gave me 4 of the 5 and then hesitated on "Brenda sings" I could hear him starting the ch sound that starts chante(sings). He stopped and said, "I can't remember." I said, "Yes, you do, just say it." He said, "Brenda chante." Then, I went on with my "above and beyond" questions, asking him where Brenda sings in French. He answered the question as well as another one...in French!!! When I told him that he got 100%, he shyly smiled and walked away. Can you imagine what his life might be like in a class where a teacher dismisses him as a problem child? It breaks my heart.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering what your speaking test consisted of, but then found it on the previous post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I got a really good feeling when I read the part about him walking away with a smile. I believe a little success can lead to much more success. It's like stopping a wheel spinning the wrong way and getting it going in right direction. It always starts out slow and builds! Super cool!

    ReplyDelete