Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Big Payoff-Literally

Okay, this is going to sound bad in the beginning, but hear me out! Yesterday, I got physical proof that my love for my students is evident and that they are reciprocating. Three of my students brought me a gift yesterday. I've gotten Christmas gifts from students before, but they have always been the very generic, my mom bought this and made me bring it to you, kind. These three students went together and found me a necklace with different charms, including the Eiffel Tower! This is the first time that a student has actually bought me a personal gift, using what they know about my style and likes to buy me something! I was super excited not for the gift, but for the feelings behind the gesture. Call me naive, but I feel like I'm succeeding in creating a classroom where students feel loved and validated.

2 comments:

  1. That is really cool - I totally get that it is not about the material thing but just that the students put thought and effort into reciprocating your love for them. I just found your site because I am trying to become a tprs teacher. Thanks for blogging about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading! Starting TPRS is such a hard thing to do because there are so many skills and tricks and... Not to mention that it really took me quite a while to feel comfortable with my French to be able to "wing it". But it is SO worth it. I will never go back. If "they" tell me that I have to use a book and verb charts, I will either shut my door and teach how I want or quit. Ask lots of questions and Good luck! No matter what, you are helping your students ACQUIRE the language by using TPRS.

    ReplyDelete