Monday, January 30, 2012

Hounding students

My department has decided this semester to "hound" students who get below a certain grade and make them re-learn the material through home study time and re-take assessments. Friday, I sent an email to the parents, letting them know about this new requirement and to let them know that their student didn't do so hot on the first assessment of the semester.

I got a response from a very conscientious parent telling me that her daughter is usually very good about studying hard the night before a test and asking how much notice they had for this test. My response was that my tests are unannounced because I want to know how much they have acquired, not how much they've memorized for a test. And now I'm nervous that this will not make the parent very happy. I know that I'm right...but it sounds weird telling a parent that you don't want his/her student to study. And I worry that in this culture of questioning and belittling teachers, I'll be taken to task for this. Thoughts??

1 comment:

  1. It's hard when your department has adopted a policy that is aimed toward improving "learning" and you are aiming for increased "acquisition". Maybe you could give one announced quiz per month to satisfy those parties...weight it however you would like...and use it as a way to quiz some culture, grammar (eek!) etc. that will align with department goals. The other 75% of the time..use the other format.

    Don't forget that you may have told students (and may have to remind parents) that if the majority of the scores do not show acquisition that that grade will not go in the book. It is only when every grade "counts" that these mastery learning approaches hurt averages.

    Good luck!!

    with love,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete