Tuesday, May 22, 2012

End of the year wrap-up

Whew! What a trying year. I had more students, more preps, more classes, and more responsibilities. Oh yeah, and I'm 9 months pregnant!! But I've survived and I think I've made a difference in my students' lives. I say "I think" because I just handed out my end-of-year survey to my students and it's always uplifting and bums me out as well. Is it too much to want to be everything to every student?? As usual, there were a couple of kids who felt that I didn't care about them. That breaks my heart. My husband and I were talking about this last night: give any student a year or two and all the "bad" feelings a teacher may have had about them disappears. I can forgive every student everything after a year of maturity because I know that none of my students is evil. Every student has their reasons for acting up in class (whether that be home problems, immaturity, etc), and I love them anyways (even as I am pushed to the edge of my reason). But here is what I got from my surveys this year: 1. I am doing a better job of greeting every student and making them feel that I care; I still have more room to grow, but most of my students did feel that I care!! 2. My kids feel cared about when I smile, ask them about their day, say hello, show them their grades often, and allow them to re-take tests. 3. My level 2 kids (advanced) were really ticked off that they "couldn't take notes." I put that in quotes because I have never forbidden notes in class except for during story time. At that time, I ask that the desks are cleared to avoid the temptation for distraction. Next year, I will do a better job of explaining this and carve out a couple of minutes at the end of each day for those note-takers to take notes. 4. My level 2 kids were also very upset that my assessments were unannounced. However, almost every single block day had an assessment of some sort. A TPRS class is very hard for those grade-grubbers to adjust to. I'm hoping that my French 2 kids next year, who will have no experience with any other French teacher, will not be so upset by this. We'll see... 5. My level 2 kids were also super upset that I didn't allow them to go to the bathroom without taking off PAT time. I don't think I will be changing this any time soon... The students who complain about it are so few that it makes it worth it to me because I don't have to deal with the constant pass writing every hour of every day. Instead, I have maybe one or two students per week who choose to take advantage of my bathroom policy. That's all I can think of for now. I'm still kicking myself that some students think I "hated them" or "played favorites." One thing that is clear over the years that I've done the survey: EVERY student wants to be validated and wants attention. Even the ones with the super long bangs who cower in the corner and you think they would shrivel up and die if you talked to them. I hope your years are ending just as well. Feel free to share any lessons you have learned this year!

6 comments:

  1. I have learned that what works well enough in one school will not necessarily work well enough in another - I came across your blog I think on the moreTPRS listserv and am thrilled to find you as I go to a Blaine Ray training and try to make the leap next year after 8 years of teaching Spanish. I can't wait to go through your older posts and see your changes. I'm actually thinking of doing a blog of my own, partly for me and partly for parents/community members who are interested in what changes are happening in their school. I'd love to know if you felt it really helped you or if it was too burdensome keeping up on posts. Would you be willing to e-mail me? kyork@nevada.k12.ia.us Thanks for your contributions! Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you be willing to share your end-of-year survey? I'd love to see it. Though if you were 9 months pregnant in May, you must be pretty busy right now!!!
    Thanks for sharing, when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin: I started this blog to force me to reflect on what worked and what didn't... I will email you now unless my kids start another war!

    Anny: I would be more than happy to share, but my files are all at school and I don't have an electronic copy of the survey. I will make a note to send it when I get back to school, if that's not too late! I can tell you that there were lots of questions like: Do you feel that Madame cared about your success? Why or why not? What could Madame have done better? What one thing helped you learn the most? What was your favorite part of French class? What was your least favorite part? Stuff like that. I tried to make it a good mix of interpersonal and intellectual so that it not only instructs my teaching, but the way I interact with students. I've made some huge improvements over the years based on the responses from this survey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I read that you've presented to peers on classroom management. I'd like to email you on this topic. How can I email you? I can't find any "contact me" tab on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry! I'm not really that savvy and didn't realize there's no way to contact me. My work email is ehayles at liberty.k12.mo.us. Feel free to email me anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, Here is my survey. I give it out once grades have been finalized and only to students who will not have me next year.

    Please answer these questions truthfully and openly. Your answers will be used to help Madame become a better teacher in the future.

    1. Did you feel that Mme cared about you and your success in the class?
    2. If yes, what did she do to show you that she cared? If no, what could she have done to show that she cared?
    3. What is the best thing that Mme did in the classroom?
    4. What is the worst thing that Mme did in the classroom?
    5. Would you like to take a class from Mme in the future?
    6. Do you feel that Mme was knowledgeable of the French language?
    7. What could Mme do next time to be a better teacher?
    8. What did you learn from Mme?
    9. What will you do with the information you learned?
    10. Do you have anything else you would like to share with Mme?

    Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!

    ReplyDelete