Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Edmodo with Leslie Davison

This session was very hands-on.  We all created a classroom, joined the NTPRS group, and learned to post, edit comments, and create a poll.

Leslie does a great job using Edmodo for comprehensible input.  She puts questions on there for students to answer, links to youtube videos or articles of interest, and other items to get students excited about reading/writing in the TL.

I'm excited about the possibilities, but I wonder if the students will actually go to the page...  I used to have a blackboard page with a ton of stuff on it, but the kids didn't ever go to my blackboard page, so it was a lot of work for very little payoff.  Do you use edmodo?  Do your students use it?

2 comments:

  1. It seems like most of my kiddos get notifications on their phones, but never really click on links I send, which is unfortunate. Only a few do. Still, it's a great outlet for the shy students who would otherwise stay quiet in class. If you're willing to use frequently so that students don't forget about it, I think it's awesome.

    One of the most annoying comments from the past couple of years: Me: "Hey, I put all this stuff on Edmodo, so make sure you logon..." Students: "Who even logs on to Edmodo anymore???!!"

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across your blog. It's awesome and a great resource. How is Edmodo going for you? It's funny. I've been using Edmodo for 5 + years and this year I did something different w/ it. This year, I'm using Edmodo at the beginning of class as a warm-up because I have access to computers everyday. Examples include surveys, videos, jokes, news, pop culture, songs, personal questions, etc. Everyone participates in class for for 2-10 minutes. HOWEVER, my kids are actually using
    Edmodo LESS than ever outside of class. They aren't creating their own posts as much as waiting for me to instigate the conversation. This is much different than the past. I think I sort of screwed up in making it more compulsory. As I said this summer, it is a great source of CI (Comprehensible Input) and a perfect spot for students to connect and share their Spanish outside of class. So, I'm going to attempt (second semester) to turn this around. I think I may have to "force" them to start posting on their own at first. I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete