Friday, November 4, 2016

FLAM session on creating an authentic classroom by Dr. Tonya Tinsley

I've had this blog post sitting open on my computer for almost a week now.  I wasn't sure exactly how I wanted to present it, so I've procrastinated.

Last weekend, I went to the local conference for Missouri and Kansas FL teachers and presented (presentation available on an earlier blog post).  My favorite part of the conference was seeing what was going on in other schools and classrooms, but nothing super resonated with me.  Not because they weren't fantastic ideas or that there aren't amazing things happening in FL classrooms across the midwest, but I didn't hear anything that I felt like I needed to share with the world or really ponder.

So on Saturday morning, tired from a stressful day of presenting for the very first time, I decided to duck into a session presented in French because, I figured, if I don't have anything to take away from this into my classroom, at least I've spent over an hour listening to a language I love.  And the presenter had a beautiful accent and a quiet presence that just felt so good after so much GO GO GO.  Sadly, I can't find an online program from last weekend, so I have no idea of this woman's name or of the name of her session.  (if anyone reads this and has this information, please share!)

To make a long story short, here are the ideas that she shared that resonated with me.  I was typing frantically while translating and listening, so they are very choppy.  But rather than sit with this blog post glaring at me while I try to teach, I will put this out there in the world as I experienced it.  If anything is confusing or you want more explanation, please reach out.  I can try and remember my thoughts as I took the notes.

Are our students used to traveling?  We can give them the tools of the language, but experiencing it is another thing...  Grocery store?  Paying the bill?  We need to make sure that our students can make those authentic connections because otherwise, they don't understand.

4 types of locuteurs: someone used to working with language learners, someone who's not, but is willing to be kind and communicate, someone who has no idea of how to speak with a non-native, someone who doesn't know and doesn't care to know.

Talk about something precious to them.  Something they value....but also, expose them to other things.  History: Sur les pas de Anne de Bretagne, Pour Connaitre La France: Histoire

How can we teach the value of culture if we don't know the story behind it?

What do they spend their money on says a lot about their lifestyles...?  We need to share our experiences with students.  When we ask them what they are going to be in the future, we are also helping them to become themselves.

It's important to show them you interacting with another French speaker.

We need to tell them that it's okay to start a sentence and not know how you are going to end it.  Maybe give them an example that life is not scripted.   We never know what we're going to say next and it's okay to stop and start again.

2 comments:

  1. Was it the 10:35 session, L'authenticité et l'immersion langagieres dans l'apprentissage du francais, by Dr. Tonia Tinsley? She's from Missouri State University.

    I loved your presentation at the conference. I never would have known you hadn't presented before!

    ReplyDelete