Wednesday, November 11, 2009

PQA

Yikes, I don't think I'm very good at this. I read stories that other teachers have asked from their students and I have no idea how they got to that answer. I am pretty good at getting good characters and locations...but I struggle with bizarre descriptions and problems. How do I get my students to describe a character as having ears as big as a tortilla or a forehead as tall as two cell phones (I think I stole that description from Ben's blog)? What vocab has to be front-loaded to get to that? What primer questions? I saw on moretprs a list of potential problems the other day...I think that will help. I really like the idea of getting something to vomit or pee his pants. I think the kids would go crazy with that. Last week, I had a class go crazy because Chewbacca fell in love with Po (who was too fat and needed to lose weight) simply because he liked 'em big. They laughed about that for a long time. How do I facilitate more moments like that? They are what make me chuckle and enjoy walking into my classroom. I also have classes where the students are not willing to go there with me. Man, they are hard classes to teach...Ben says to wait in the moment and the cute answers will appear...but what if they aren't appearing?? I guess this goes back to the blog about sucking. It's okay to suck! I guess I should be thankful (it is November, after all, and Thanksgiving is right around the corner) that I am able to reach that one class. Especially since I have an administrator's child in there and he is gushing over what I've been able to do...talk about administrative support! My new mantra...focus on the good days...classes...minutes...seconds...whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment