Monday, November 16, 2009

Reading success!

Today, I didn't really know what I was going to do with my 2nd year kids and didn't have a whole lot of time to plan since I was working on details of our upcoming trip to Quebec (yeah!). I decided to do my first dictee with the kids and started writing up my little story. Well, I got way too into it and added a few new things, so I decided to make it a reading instead. I handed it out and then read aloud, asking them to follow me with their fingers. Most of the students actually laughed at the right parts, even without translation! They were enjoying a joke IN FRENCH! I almost peed my pants, I was so excited. Then, we translated chorally and it worked very well too. The few slower kids finally got the joke and we were all able to laugh together. Since it worked so well (and I find it hilarious), I'll put the story here, in case anyone else thinks they could use it or it could jump start another idea (sorry for the non-accents...) I put the new words in English behind the French so they could read it easily:

Il y a une fille. Elle s'appelle Lady Gaga. Elle est grande, blonde, et tres stupide. Elle a les yeux rouges et les grands pieds. Ses pieds sont grands comme un arbre (tree). Elle chante bien. Un jour, elle voudrait acheter un nouveau pantalon vert et orange. Elle va a Zona Rosa, a Forever 21. La vendeuse (saleslady) s'appelle Tyra Banks. Lady Gaga lui dit (tells her) "Je voudrais un pantalon vert et orange." Tyra crie "Un pantalon vert et orange??? Tu es laide. Tu as besoin d'etre "fierce" Un pantalon vert et orange?? C'est stupide!" Lady Gaga est fachee. Elle lui dit "Tu es grosse, Tyra!" Tyra crie "Donnez un baiser a ma grosse derriere!" Lady Gaga va a Aeropostale. Le vendeur (salesman) s'appelle Taylor Lautner. Il est grand, brun, et tres beau. Il regarde Lady Gaga est il tombe amoureux d'elle. Lady Gaga lui dit "Je voudrais un pantalon vert et orange." Taylor dit "Oui, ma cherie. Voila un pantalon vert et orange." Il lui donne (gives her) un pantalon bleu et violet. Lady Gaga est fachee. Elle crie "Tu est stupide! Je veux un pantalon vert et orange...pas un pantalon bleu et violet!" Taylor est fache et il devient (becomes) un loup. Il mange Lady Gaga et il est content.

There is a girl. Her name is Lady Gaga. She is tall, blonde and very stupid. She has red eyes and big feet. Her feet are as big as a tree. She sings well. One day, she would like to buy new green and orange pants. She goes to Zona Rosa, to Forever 21. The saleslady's name is Tyra Banks. Lady Gaga tells her "I would like green and orange pants." Tyra yells "Green and orange pants? You are ugly! You need to be fierce. Green and orange pants?? That's stupid!" Lady Gaga is mad. She tells her "You're fat, Tyra!" Tyra yells, "Kiss my fat butt!" Lady Gaga goes to Aeropostale. The salesman's name is Taylor Lautner. He is tall, brunette, and very handsome. He looks at Lady Gaga and falls in love with her. Lady Gaga tells him "I would like green and orange pants." Taylor says "Yes, my dear. Here are some green and orange pants." He gives her blue and purple pants. Lady Gaga is mad. She yells "You are stupid! I want green and orange pants, not blue and purple pants." Taylor is mad and becomes a wolf. He eats Lady Gaga and he is happy.

Hooray!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing!!! I'm going to use this! Perfect timing with New Moon coming out this week. I will try to return the favor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, thanks for sharing. I'm a Spanish teacher and took a year of French about 5 years ago. So, reading that helped me see what it's like for my students reading my Spanish stories. It seemed kinda long, and then I got to the English version and it seemed so short.

    ReplyDelete