Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 2-Intermediate class with Von Ray

Here are some notes that I took from the presentation. They don't follow a narrative, so please excuse!

Students pass through 5 phases :
1. There are slow processors who can’t produce. (These would be your focus students)
2. There are fast processors who can produce very little.
3. There are fast processors who can produce with hesitation and errors.
4. There are fast processors who produce with accuracy and hesitation.
5. There are speakers with fluency or ease of expression.
Until the students reach level 5, they need repetition and circling. More time with the structure until it becomes natural.

During a story, you only have 3 options: Go back and add novel information, circle, go forward.

The goal is to practice the language and make the story last as long as we can make it last. It is not to get to the climax!! (I think I need to focus on this more. Just parking with circling and adding more details. I think that's the biggest thing I've gotten this week)

Two reasons to circle: turn slow processors into fast processors, to practice new or difficult structures. Circling is boring when sentences are short or when the structures are not new or difficult
Faster processors: review the facts of the story, add details, start over, and keep asking known details. These students can always benefit from extra repetitions to get to ease of expression

Parallel character (this is what we focused on today): a student in the class or a celebrity who parallels the story of the main character to add more practice for the structures without getting tedious. Add details about the parallel character to extend the story. Then we talk about the problem with that parallel character and come up with the resolution. You have to decide if the parallel character is interesting enough to continue with the parallel story. If it’s not, talk about it for a minute and then continue with the main story. It can have a connection to the main story, but it doesn’t have to!

Quote from Von: We’re always looking for students who want to play by raising their hands and adding details. If no students want to play, you can pick a student or use a celebrity.

Big idea:Contradict what the students think is the correct answer to increase interest. I noticed that this really caught my attention when I was a student in the language classes. I was always really surprised and laughed at the answer. We would be following a story and the teacher would ask a question that we thought we knew the answer to through inference of the story. We would answer one way and the teacher would say, No! You're wrong, it's actually (something bizarre). AFter lots of circling, it's great to be surprised by some new bit of information that's a little shocking.

Try to stick to the same thread. Parallel story should have just one thread and one problem with a resolution. Just make sure that you keep to the main structures!! You can add details and characters as long as we’re working towards the resolution of the problem.

These are some notes from the coaching session with Michelle Kindt:

When a story crashes and burns, just abandon it. You can have them draw 6 boxes and have them draw the story as you re-tell. Or, you cannot finish it and have the students finish it as homework…

When a kid really talks a lot in the TL, give them praise, let them finish and then say “don’t be intimidated by _____, she’s special and this is coming really quickly to her.”

Michelle used index cards as circling cards for each statement. Character 1 wants to have dinner with character 2. Keep other ideas for the characters or verb written down there for circling. She has them numbered so she can go through the circling easier.

"We can get our kids to love French so much that they keep taking it or so much that they travel. This leads to world peace…" Michelle Kindt-French coach What a beautiful thought. I'm an optimist too! Wouldn't it be nice if we were making such a huge difference in our classrooms every day??

5 comments:

  1. Your notes and insights are REALLY helpful. I am not at natl this year...but feel like I've gotten some good nuggets from what you have written.
    I don't quite understand the circling cards...can you explain that?
    Maria
    newport news, va

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I prepare to leave for IFLT, I'm using your posts for a pre-conference warmup. There are so many sessions to choose from,it's hard to know where to begin. Your posts are helping me find a focus. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle writes each sentence on one index card. Around the first part, she writes extra ideas. For example, if the sentence were Brad Pitt wants to kiss Angelina Jolie, she would write George Clooney, Lady Gaga, etc so that when she is circling, she can look down if she gets stuck and say, "George Clooney or Brad Pitt wants to kiss Angelina Jolie?" Same for each section of the sentence. For wants to kiss, maybe wants to hug, wants to marry, etc. Does that clear it up?

    Thanks for the compliments! I'm trying to blog, but the days are so jam-packed that I'm a little behind... I still have the rest of my notes to reflect on and post here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that explanation! That helps.
    My other question is - what are YOU going to do for the paie-moi system. I keep tweaking this...year after year. The way you describe Blaine - is that he is just so warm.. I'm afraid that I'm too authoritarian..but I want to control the class.
    Again - thanks for the time you spend writing these notes

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, I have no idea. Classroom management is my biggest problem...I'm not authoritarian at all. I'm attending Dale Crum's classroom management sessions now (based on Fred Jones' Tools for Teaching) that I'll get blogged about too.

    ReplyDelete