Thursday, August 26, 2010

Blurters

For those of you who are not familiar with blurters, they are students that you pick to help you out by shouting out the English when you say a particular word in the TL. Usually, these are tough words that need a TON of repetition to stick.

So yesterday, I had a kid who was falling asleep in class. I noticed that my kids were having a really hard time with where, so I asked him to shout it out everytime I said Ou. He did, stayed awake, and wrote on his evaluation that he enjoyed being part of the class that day. What a boost for that kid! My colleague said that she wondered what life was for him in other classes, where teachers don't engage him to be part of the class?

Today, I used this technique again with a kid with severe ADHD and Asperger's. I had him shout out "has" every time I said a. It helped him focus and I think it helped the rest of the class remember what a means. AND, at the end of the class, I was able to thank him for helping me out today.

I think I've said it before on here, but it is such a different experience teaching when I'm more interested in my kids and their understanding than I am about curriculum. I've picked out what's important. If a single student doesn't get it, we'll keep working on it. No big deal. I won't "move on" (which is silly in TPRS, where everything recycles all the time) until we're all understanding!!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Bess! I would love to post this piece on my blog for people...let me know if that would be okay with you!!

    with love,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! I also saw the ADHD kid at meet your teacher night and he was super proud to be able to talk to his parents about how he helped the class with "has!"

    I asked him how he thought class was going and if he was able to concentrate (I thought for sure that ADHD kids would be off in another world during 45 minutes of PQA). He said that he wasn't having any trouble at all following class and paying attention!!

    I LOVED meet your teacher night this year. It was SO much fun to be able to tell parents about the crazy things their kids were doing in my class. Almost all of them said that French was their kids' favorite class! I LOVE teaching this year and it's changing the way the rest of my life is going too. Amazing...

    ReplyDelete