Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Harry Potter

Yesterday I tried a story with my kids that really worked.  I am running out of things for the circling with balls (especially since we are trying to talk about one kid for an entire hour and there's only so much you can say about playing basketball at this point in the school year), so I have started inventing hobbies for my kids.  I don't think they mind (I hope not, at least!). 

Yesterday I picked one student out of each class who did not have a story yet and that person can do magic!  I wanted to introduce pouvoir while the kids are still super engaged, and since it is such a high frequency word. 

Here is an example from one of my classes (please excuse the lack of accents):

Sam peut faire de la magie. Elle utilise un pompom comme baguette.  Elle est etudiante a THS.  Harry Potter est etudiant a Hogwarts.  Harry Potter est le meilleur magicien a Hogwarts parce qu'il a tue Voldemort! (At this point I did a quick time-out to teach them that Voldemort means flight from death in French).  Harry Potter utilise la tour Eiffel (I have a small Eiffel Tower) comme baguette.  (We follow the same pattern to establish Ron and Hermione as characters...)  Un jour, Sam visite Hogwarts.  Sam regarde Ron et elle aime Ron.  Hermione est jalouse et elle crie "Ron est MON garcon"  Sam est fachee et elle crie "Avada cadavra" (or however you spell the killing curse).  Hermione tombe et elle est morte.  Ron est fache et il crie "Avada..."  Harry Potter frappe Ron avec un dragon (another prop in the classroom) et Ron tombe.  Harry Potter adore Sam. 

I'm really enjoying extending my circling with balls in this way because it feels less forced to me than last year when I tried to only use LICT for my stories.  I'm hoping that by the time I'm done with my circling, I will have already taught a large portion of the vocab from LICT and I can skip a ton!

No comments:

Post a Comment