Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Educational Intern

I am so blessed to have an educational intern this semester.  Our district has a senior-level class for students who want to become teachers after college.  My student is a former student who really wants to be a French teacher (yeah!).  He comes twice a week and can do a ton of things.  He can do organizational things like grading or making copies, he can do one-on-one tutoring with kids who need extra help, he can re-direct students who are off-task, and he can TEACH lessons!! 

My student is amazing and could not WAIT to get in front of the class, so I let him go for it after only three days of observation.  He did circling with my first year students and NAILED it!  Okay, so he wasn't perfect, but it brought back so many memories of my first time standing in front of those students and trying to think of the right words while trying to think of what question to ask.  I jumped in when needed, gave him a little coaching, and guided him to some questions, but he did it!  And he's only a senior in high school...18 years old with no teaching experience...

With my second year students, he guided them in discussion about their weekend.  Sadly, my kids didn't really want to share that much, but he did a great job encouraging even the quiet ones to participate without being forceful. 

I am so lucky to have this superstar helping me this semester!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment