Wednesday, August 22, 2012

How to review with 2nd year students

Oh man...what are supposed to do with 2nd year students?  Do you just start off with the next lesson?  Re-teach everything?  Circle with cards because they know each other?

Sadly, I have tried all of these (even starting off with the next lesson with students who were new to me and came out of a textbook...I was a first-year teacher, okay?!)  This year, I am going to start off with storytelling, reviewing the structures as we go.  It is my hope that one story could review two or three weeks worth of structures at a time.  We'll see...  So far, my second year students are on the first three structures, but we are actually reviewing much more than just those three structures. 

In one class this week, we told a story to review il y avait: there was, aimait: likes, voulait avoir: wanted to have, and est alle: went (sorry, I can't get accents to work).  But we actually reviewed things like "how did he go? by bike? quickly? forwards?" We reviewed descriptions, numbers (with ages), the rules of storytelling, and all sorts of other things that I can't think of right now because the students all remembered it with little or no reminders. 

I'm super proud of my students and hope that the students who struggled last year will be able to catch-up with the other students through this review and not struggle this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment