Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Blaine & Von Ray Spanish Class-day 1

I always love being in Blaine's class...today was a little slow because there were a LOT of true Spanish beginners...  So I didn't learn a lot of new Spanish, but I did get a couple of things to pass on:

1-The longer I was in the class, the more my Spanish class with Blaine from 6 years ago came back...  Words that we weren't using, but that just starting popping into my head because it was Spanish that I knew.

2-Blaine told the "class" that the goal was for us to all answer his questions AT THE SAME TIME!  I don't know why I've never done this.  He specifically said to the class "So you faster processors, I want you to try and BLEND IN.  Wait just a bit before you answer and don't just blurt out."  Awesome.  I've never heard that before but what a great thing to say to our students?!  It validates the quicker kids because it tells them that I know they exist, but it gets them on my side in helping the rest of the students.  Instead of trying to blurt out the answer quickly before everybody else, those students will now be trying to wait a bit (giving them more time to process as well)...  And for those slower processors, it allows them to answer without fear of looking behind the quick kids.  Great stuff.

It amazes me that I've seen some of these master teachers teach the same story a handful of times, but I always get something new from them....

No comments:

Post a Comment