Thursday, July 23, 2015

How to Expand a 1 Day movie talk to 1 week-Alina Filipescu

I didn't know, but this is a continuation of the story that we did in the morning...so read my post from the morning session...do all of that...and then continue on with this, using the same structures.

All of these are ideas of how to plan an entire week off of one movie talk.  I've been very bad about using movie talk because I get lazy and I think "Oh man, my kids are getting bored with X, and I haven't done a movie talk in a while...so let me find a movie talk."  Luckily, I have this shared database of TONS of movie talk resources, and I'm pretty comfortable flying by the seat of my pants, so I just pick one and go.  No real planning involved...no real structures that I'm planning on using...  And then AFTER I've done it with all of my classes, I figure out what I taught them and then create the extension activities.  It works, but if I'm busy or have a Dr appt or something after school, then I'm screwed for the extension activities.  Anywho....

Alina showed us another brain break/PQA again that I had forgotten to write down in my notes from the first session.  She says "I am________" and then if that sentence is true for you, you stand up and say "That's me!" in the target language.  It works as a brain break because it gets kids moving, adds some PQA, and gives kids a low-stress way to practice saying That's me! several times.  While teaching us this, Alina said that she spends at least 10 minutes a day doing some sort of PQA.  I love that idea.  I feel like I compartmentalize my teaching too much.  Like "Oh, today is a reading day, so we're going to read and translate."  I'm so dumb that I don't even remember to circle or PQA or do anything with the reading besides a "reading activity."  That's one thing that I saw over and over this week: all the skills that we are building should ALWAYS be happening.  We just flip from one to another.  There's NOTHING saying that we can't stop in the middle of asking a story and just park on something else or pop in a music video and sing.  Duh!  I'm sure I'm the last person on the planet to have this realization.

My next AHA moment came when Alina talked about how she uses her "getting to know you" surveys from the beginning of the year.  I had been using them for "circling with balls" and then throwing them away when I was "done" with a student.  Hello!  Seriously...who knew I was this dense??  She looks for interesting information and then uses fun answers for her details in stories throughout the year.  Her example was a student who had a dog named Agent Fluffybottom.  That struck her as so funny so she threw it in the next time they needed an animal name in a story. 

She also used celebrity photos as PQA to ask opinions of each student.  I need to remember to do stuff like this and then have kids move around to show their responses.  Great way to get kids moving while still getting input.  AND it will be so much easier next year as I get rid of my desks.

Alina then continued on with a 3 ring circus.  I have never been able to pull this off, but I hear from others who saw it in Linda's class and from my experience with Alina that it allows for SO MUCH repetition because it is funny to watch your classmates doing something non-stop, even when I'm not talking about that person.  So, going back...  Alina picked 3 people too act out our 3 verbs that we were working on.  But she personalized it.  So our first volunteer was acting out looked at.  So we talked to her about what she wanted to look at (circling...circling...repetition).  Then, our 2nd volunteer had fought with as his structure.  So we had to figure out who/what he was fighting with.  Continued this with the 3rd person...  Then, once we had established all that and had about a billion more reps, they did it.  The actual 3 ring circus didn't actually take that long, but Alina got so many reps just setting it up.  Awesome.

Okay....after the PQA, the 3 ring circus and all those reps, we were ready for the Movie Talk.  She showed the movie up until the "joke" without saying anything.  Then, she stopped at the spots with the target vocab and we talked about it.  She asked questions...circled...etc.  Then, you've got extension activities...show it again and have them blurt out anything they see.  I've done something like this before, but I prefer using screen shots instead of watching the movie again.  We looked at the still and they told their partner everything they could say (or we used white boards and they wrote it), while I walked around and then said things like "Oh class, I just heard someone say (I try not to call people out) THIS and it was awesome!  I hadn't thought of that..." 

Then, we did an embedded reading of the "text" of the movie talk.  Alina pointed out that for the first versions of her embedded readings, she tries to use a larger, easy to read font and centers each sentence on its own line.  Love this idea!

Other ideas that Alina said she uses in class are sentence strips of the story, dramatize it, or have them read it in different funny voices.

Anther thing that I have done as an extension activity that I stole from someone's blog:  I took my screen shots and made copies so that I made decks of cards and they played Go Fish, describing the photo to ask for the cards they wanted. 

1 comment: