Sunday, July 24, 2016

Grading changes for next year

Since learning about Standards-Based Grading from Scott Benedict (Teach for June) so many years ago, I changed my grading style and never looked back.  Since then, I have used the following weighted grades: Listening (15%), Reading (15%), Writing (30%), Speaking (30%), and Culture (10%) because I felt that production is harder, so it should have a higher weight.

After binge listening to Tea with BVP for the last two months, I have changed my mind (at least for levels 1 and 2).  I now feel that we should not be assessing level 1 students on writing and speaking because they probably aren't ready to produce...and especially not in a stressful assessment situation.  So...I thought and I thought and I went around and around.  I listened to Bill talk about communication in the lower levels and I realized that students are communicating with me in a foreign language every day when they are participating in my class.  By giving me a quizzical look when they don't understand.  By answering in one word when I ask a question.  By laughing when something is funny.  We don't think about it, but they are communicating with us.  Even though it seems like the teacher is doing all the communicating, it is a two-way street.  Otherwise, I could just sit at home and tape myself speaking French and take a nap during class...

With all of that in mind, I will be piloting something new next year.  I will be implementing a Communication grade in levels 1 and 2 (3 and up will obviously also communicate...but they will be able to speak and write...so I'll keep my old gradebook).  Most of their grade will be based on their attempts to learn the language.  If they are looking me in the eyes, listening to what I say and processing that information to either answer or ask for help...they will receive a good grade.  The rates of acquisition are such that I HATE dinging a kid who is trying to get it for not getting it....YET.  I know that, given enough time, they will get it, and most of those students, even my SPED kids, make huge gains in language learning, even if they don't end up with an A at the end of the year.

Thoughts on this crazy idea?  Logistically, I'm planning on using a version of Jen's Great Rubric (google it and you'll see lots of blogs posting about it), having students do a quick self-assessment daily, and then I will agree or disagree and the grade goes in.  I'm trying to figure out a way to do it electronically through Schoology so the grade will autopopulate in PowerSchool, but my gradebook isn't live on Schoology yet, so it's all just a thought now.  If any of you have any advice or warnings...let me know!  Less than a month until school starts!

No comments:

Post a Comment