Sunday, July 24, 2016

Seating changes for next year

If you follow this blog, you know that I tend to ramble and not be super cohesive.  This blog was created as a way for me to word-vomit on a page in order to synthesize my own thoughts and help me process and reflect upon my own learning.  So, apologies if that makes you crazy...

Next year, I am excited to be trying some new things in my classroom (as always).  Last year, I went deskless and sewed 30 chair pockets to store pencils, white boards, markers, etc.  Students complained that their stuff was never where it was supposed to be and something that was supposed to make life easier ended up taking extra time because class couldn't start until everyone had looked in the other 29 chairs to find their folders.  I tried numbering the chairs, but I really think someone was moving the folders on purpose (or there's a folder fairy....maybe an Elf on the Shelf??).  So this year, we are moving to color-coded folders (each hour has a different color) and each hour will have a box to keep their folders.  If anyone puts their folder in the wrong box, it will be super obvious because the colors won't match.  I am also going to have one of my jobs be the Supply Person who is in charge of handing things out and collecting when needed.

So the sad news is that my chair covers are now outdated, BUT getting rid of them is going to allow me to change up my classroom seating.  Instead of having all 30 chairs out in a horseshoe for every class, we can get out only the chairs we need for each class and the configuration can change each day.  I'm really excited about this!  AND I am going to be able to think outside the box and add a variety of seating options (if my donors choose project gets funded...over halfway there!).  So my kids will have a choice of a bungee chair, a bean bag, a yoga ball, etc...and I can use the seating as an incentive to get to class early and to be on task because you can't sit in a cool chair if you can't meet my classroom expectations.

Other ideas to follow in my next blog post!


No comments:

Post a Comment