Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Weekend immersion

Well, we just got back from a weekend in Canada. I don't know exactly how I feel about what my students knew compared to the other, non-TPRS students. I'm really just at a loss. My second year students could order food, using Je voudrais. I felt pretty good about that, but that came about because I have "themes" that I try to teach from and make stories using those themes. The themes don't really go with pure TPRS, though. I'm just really struggling to figure out what works and what doesn't. I read Ben's blog and I read the research about the "quiet" period, but what has been working in my class doesn't fit with that research.

I'm about to go off on a tangent, but it's been bugging me recently...especially considering that I found out today that the high school teachers that I send my kids to are considered the "leaders" of the language department. And they don't like TPRS. So I feel like I have to find a way to prepare my kids to go there...but still enjoy my job and get the kids to learn as much as they possibly can about SPEAKING and UNDERSTANDING French.

Ben had a blog recently about the harmful effects of having kids speak too early. Rationally, I completely understand that and agree...but it's one of the things that I do that really works! From almost day one, I have kids answering a question of the day for participation points. I help them along if they get stuck, but I want them to practice using the language. Every Monday our question is What did you do this weekend? My kids love to talk about themselves and it gives us a TON of practice with the past tense...even after only 2 or 3 weeks of instruction. It really sticks with my kids. It's one thing they can do even after a long summer break.

Anyway, I guess the question that came up this weekend was how to get my students prepared to spend a weekend in Quebec while using TPRS. I think that I've done a great job teaching them things, but they aren't the things traditionally taught to beginning language students. So my kids end up looking stupid. Is that okay??

1 comment:

  1. I think you have to do what works for you. And each year, that changes. I don't repeat everything each year, I drop, I add. For years, I did 'les petites annonces'- having kids say date, clothes they were wearing....common stuff. I don't do that this year...I've moved on.
    We are SO afraid we are doing something wrong. WE beat ourselves up. Just relax and move them further along. I appreciate your honest reflections.
    Maria, Newport News
    Year 8 of TPRS and still working at it
    Year 18 of teaching French and still working at it
    Year ? being a Christiand and still growing
    Year 30 of being a wife and still growing
    Year 27 of being a mom and still learning...

    ReplyDelete