Thursday, February 14, 2013

Movie talk

I'm late to the movie talk game, but I've been reading all about it on Michele Whaley's site today.  It sounds like the perfect thing to infuse some new life into my class.  I've started getting the "are we doing a story AGAIN?" question and I think this would be a perfect way to stay in the TL, keep them engaged, and still meet my objectives. 

I wish I had come across this idea before I showed the kids Le Ballon Rouge a couple of weeks ago.  I had them write out sentences or words of what they saw, but it would have been so much more effective to stop the video and discuss in French or point out what I see.

I'm wondering how to adapt a video to every level if they are missing much of the vocabulary.  Anyone using this?  What videos do you use in the French classroom?  What structures do you focus on?

1 comment:

  1. You don't focus on structures or worry about the vocabulary. As long as you the concept can be (semi-) accurately conveyed by pointing at the images on the screen, the vocab is 'in-bounds'. This is a good way to introduce students to LOTS of new vocabulary, but you will not get the high amount of repetitions that you need for students to acquire all of it. They will take away some words, but not everything. It's a great way to cast a wide net and let students leave with what they are able to handle.

    ReplyDelete