Monday, February 11, 2013

Strangers in the classroom

This year, I am blessed to have two high school students in my classroom for a portion of most days.  It is so wonderful to have an extra set of eyes to work with students and give me a new perspective on my class.  For me, it helps keep my class fresh, knowing that there is someone in the class that I can try to impress or entertain.  At this point in the school year, some students are getting "bored" with the stories, but the fresh set of eyes push me to show everyone how exciting story time can be.

I also love having high schoolers come down and visit/help because they are so encouraging of the way I am teaching French.  They go back to the high school and tell their friends how "fun" my class is.  It feels like a nice warm hug on those days when I just don't think I'm worthy. 

2 comments:

  1. How did it come about that they are in your room? Are they receiving some sort of credit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a pre-education program in our high schools where students who want to become educators can experience classroom life while still in high school. It's almost like having a student teacher, but they aren't able to do as much as a student teacher. We also have a program where high school students can tutor others in return for community college tuition. So I've been lucky enough to have two students this year!

    ReplyDelete