Monday, December 14, 2009

Loving kids makes my life harder...

Here is my predicament for today: I have some students who are making my life a living hell. I hate planning for their class because they are negative, disruptive, etc. I have been working with them on their behavior, but I really feel at this point that it would be better to kick them out of the class altogether. They are not showing enough improvement to show me that they really care about being in my class. Here's the rub. After almost a year and a half teaching these kids, I care about them. I don't want to give up on them, but I'm beginning to think it is a lost cause. I'd much rather take that love and give it to the rest of the class by creating a fun, positive environment instead of the angry place that that class is right now. How do I feel good about either choice? What would you all do or have you done? I have to decide soon because 2nd semester starts soon.

1 comment:

  1. I'd tell them how I feel, and tell their parents how I feel, for starters. I would ask them to fill out a participation self evaluation as we have been talking about on my blog lately. I would make sure that they all understood my rules and I would enforce them aggessively, esp. with the ring leaders. If they had a week to do that before break, which they probably don't, I would evaluate them and if they didn't get my message, I would, if I could and as you imply, kick them out. But, given time, those kids can be dealt with. It is a long discussion, but we all have had to do this.

    ReplyDelete